The pavilion along the Heritage Trail has already become a major point of interest for the Academy ...
Recognizing exceptional graduates
Below are some of the awards that honor the accomplishments of Air Force Academy graduates.
The Distinguished Graduate Award recognizes exceptional graduates who have set themselves apart by making extraordinarily significant contributions to our nation and/or their communities.
- The winners of the Academy’s Distinguished Graduate Award for 2022 are Brig Gen (Ret) Mueh '66, Maj Gen (Ret) Desjardins '80, and Gen (Ret) Goldfein '83.
- View all Distinguished Graduate Award winners
Each year the U.S. Air Force Academy and the Association of Graduates present the Colonel James Jabara Award to an Academy graduate or graduates whose airmanship contributions are of great significance and set them apart from their contemporaries.
- 2020 Winner: Capt. Alexander Boules, '15
- 2021 Winner: Maj. J. Cameron Dilts, '10
- View all Jabara Award winners
Do you know a young alum who has distinguished himself or herself by obtaining a high level of professional or philanthropic achievement and who possesses high standards of integrity and character that positively reflect and enhance the prestige of the Air Force Academy? If so, this award is the perfect way to recognize them. If you would like to nominate an alum who has graduated recently from the Academy, nominations for the 2023 Young Alumni will be accepted September 1, 2023 - December 31, 2023.
The Sullenberger Award for Courage was created to recognize a graduate with the following criteria:
- Exemplary performance during a singular act, or series of events within a short duration of time, where the individual demonstrated an achievement well exceeding the expectations for that period of time
- Incident exemplifies the Academy core values of – service before self, excellence in all we do, and integrity
- Act of bravery can occur during a military, civilian, business sector, or community related event
- The incident reflects positively on the Academy and is directly correlated to the training provided by the Academy
Nominations for this award will be accepted November 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023
Shortly after the end of World War II, an annual Valor Award presentation was initiated by American Legion Aviators' Post No. 743 to recognize a military aviator who performed a feat of valor during the prior year as determined by an Aviators' Post panel. Learn more about USAFA grad award recipients.
Honorary membership may be awarded to persons who have rendered outstanding and conspicuous service to the Air Force and/or the Academy.