End of the Year Giving Guide
Thank you for offering more than a margin of excellence as you consider supporting the U.S. Air Force Academy with your year-end giving. Your gift will enable the USAFA Endowment to continue providing transformative private support to the Air Force Academy.
For your convenience, we offer multiple ways to give:
- Online: Use our secure online giving site.
- Phone: Please call 719-472-0300 ext 200 prior to 4:30 p.m. MST on December 31, 2019, to make your gift using your credit or debit card.
- Mail: In order for gifts by mail to be accounted for in the 2019 tax year, envelopes containing checks must be postmarked by the United States Postal Service in 2019. If paying via credit card, your gift must be received by Tuesday, December 31, 2019, in order to be processed as a 2019 gift.
- Please mail gifts to:
- USAFA Endowment
- 3116 Academy Dr. Ste 200
- USAF Academy, CO 80840-4475
Read more about each type of gift and the steps you can take to ensure proper accounting of your end-of-the-year gift:
Gifts of cash/check
- Make checks payable to the USAFA Endowment. Indicate your gift designation on the memo line of your check.
- The date of the gift is subject to IRS rules. It is the responsibility of the donor to substantiate the date of the contribution.
- Mailed checks must be postmarked by December 31, 2019, to be recorded as a 2019 gift. Please note this does not apply to mailed credit card gifts.
Gifts by debit/credit cards
- The IRS requires credit card donations to be processed in the same year of the deduction. Therefore, all credit card donations must be processed on or before December 31. We encourage you to make your credit card gifts online to ensure that they will be processed in 2019.
- Credit card gifts received over the phone after 4:30 PM MST on December 31, 2019, will be processed in January and recorded as 2020 gifts.
- We must receive mailed credit card gifts by December 31, 2019, to be recorded as a 2019 donation.
Gifts of securities
Gifts of appreciated securities provide financial support to the Air Force Academy and the USAFA Endowment, and may have tax benefits for the donor as well. Donors can instruct their financial institution to transfer securities electronically via "DTC" to the USAFA Endowment. Contact our gift processing department at 719-472-0300, ext. 200 to make sure you have all the information necessary to make this type of gift.
In addition to the transfer information, our team will ask that you communicate the stock transfer request in writing or electronically to the USAFA Endowment. A sample letter will be provided. The letter should include: name of donor, name and number of shares donated, and reason/campaign for which the donation is being made. If emailing, please copy Dennis Scruggs, chief financial officer (firstname.lastname@example.org), and our gift processing team (email@example.com).
Read more about non-cash donations from our Office of Gift Planning (download PDF).
Remember your matching gift
Many employers match gifts made by employees, spouses and retirees.
Check to see if your company offers a matching gift program or check with your human resources department to see if you qualify. If your company participates, return the required matching gift form with your gift to the Endowment.