Class of the Month: 1963
Every month we will recognize a featured class online, highlighting the accomplishments and catching up with where they are now.
- The Class of 1963 celebrated their 50th Reunion in October! Share your reunion photos using hashtag #usafa1963 on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
- What They've Done: 16 General Officers,
42 CEO/VPs, 9 Medical or Legal, and 16 Airline Professionals.
- Giving Back: 327 AOG Members,
21 Sabre Society Members
over $7.8M Lifetime Giving
1963 Award Statistics:
- Rhodes Scholars - 2
- Air Force Cross - 2
- Dist. Service Medal - 10
- Silver Star - 34
- Dist. Flying Cross - 371
Representatives from the Class of 1963 present an enormous check to the Superintendent to support USAFA. The reunion class gift established a Class Endowment Fund to provide annual support to programs in the Center for Character and Leadership Development, to the History Department's Center for Oral History, and to the Class of '63 Class Histories project (see below).
Charles Bush, '63, and Gen. Ronald Fogleman, '63, were among the first USAFA grads spotlighted for cadets at the AOG's Falcon Center Heritage Exhibit in Fairchild Hall.
A memorial service for Charles Bush, '63, the first African-American to graduate from the Air Force Academy was held on March 16 with a reception following at Doolittle Hall. View photos
Gen. Ronald Fogleman, '63, was the first graduate to serve as Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force.
Grad's Long-Lost Ring Returns to Academy
The 21st secretary of the Air Force Michael Wynne spoke to the Class of '63 on Oct. 24 during their 50-year reunion at Arnold Hall to dedicate a class ring that belonged to his brother Patrick Wynne, a '63 grad who perished in the Vietnam War.
USAFA Class Histories Project
As part of their 50th anniversary class gift, the Class of 1963 developed a USAFA class history website: www.usafaclasshistories.org. Visit the site for lots of photos and video storytelling from USAFA grads over the years.
Below is a video from their class history website that honors the 18 casualties and 2 POWs of the war in Southeast Asia. Video created by Word One Associates of Colorado Springs.
Class of 1963 Links
- Class History | Website | '63 Class History
- Read the Checkpoints feature about "When JFK Came" remembering the 50th anniversary of USAFA's first Presidential commencement.
- Mike Ferguson's Golden Boys poem.
- The Class of 1963 had many firsts at USAFA:
- First class that included African American cadets.
- First class to enter USAFA at what was then full strength.
- First class to receive 100% of their training at the permanent site in Colorado Springs.
- First class to graduate in Falcon Stadium.
- Like the Doolittle Raiders of WWII at one time, the class has silver cups on display in Arnold Hall.
- Look for more Class of 1963 reunion photos and links posted throughout the month!
If you would like your class to be highlighted as the Class of the Month in the future, send us an email with class news or projects that you'd like to have showcased.
People have asked "How do you choose the class of the month?", and your class involvement with the AOG and USAFA Endowment really helps determine what projects we feature at a given time. Grads in the news can also impact what class content gets showcased from month to month.