Summer Newsletter, July 2013
1. Chairman. Our Chairman Gen Gregory "Speedy" Martin, has advised the Board that he would step down as Chairman at the end of his five year term which comes up in the Fall 2014. Given that it takes about a year to appoint a Search Committee and to complete the search, the process has begun. The Governing Trustees appointed Co-Chairs Hugh Williamson and Jim Spittler to lead the effort, our Policy requires that the Chair of our Nominating and Governance Committee, Thad Wolfe, be on the Search Committee, and three members at large were appointed : Andrea Anderson, JT Herman and Randy Cubero. They have engaged their work and will report to the Governing Trustees at the Spring 2014 meeting and present their recommendation. The Governing Trustees will then select a nominee for presentation to the Board of Trustees at the Spring BOT meeting for their approval. The new Chairman would then step up at the Fall 2014 meeting. In the meantime, you should expect to receive e-correspondence from the Search Committee seeking nominees for the position of Chairman.
2. Trustee Recognition.
- Trustee Natalie Crawford was selected by USAFA as the Gen T.D. White award recipient for 2012. Recall Trustee Les Lyles was so recognized for 2011. Trustee Crawford's recognition ceremony will be in Arnold Hall at USAFA during our Fall meeting. We will try to arrange transportation for those who may wish to attend.
- Trustee Les Denend was awarded the 2012 Military Service Appreciation Award by the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
- Trustee William "T" Thompson was recently appointed by the Governor of Colorado to the Colorado Aeronautical Board.
- Trustee Bruce Whitman, CEO Flight Safety Inc, was awarded the National Air Transport Association's Ong Award for excellence in his field.
3. 2013 Falcon Graduate Performance. 85 Falcons entered prep school in 2008, with 83 (97%) completing the program. 76 entered USAFA, and 60 graduated, which is 70.5% of those who started Prep School, and 79% of those who entered USAFA. Our Top Three Falcon scholars in the graduating class, were recognized at our Spring meeting and for the very first time, THE Top Falcon Scholar was recognized and included in the USAFA Graduation Tapping Ceremony ! The Top Falcon Scholar for each year are all included on a Falcon Foundation Plaque located in Arnold Hall along with several other USAFA honorees. Two of our Top Three Falcons in the Class of 2013 were also USAFA Distinguished Graduates!
5. Next Year's Falcons. We will have 60 Falcon Scholars attend Prep School this next year. The 60 have selected schools as follows: Greystone-1; Kent- 0; Marion Military- 19; New Mexico Military- 8; Northwestern- 24; Randolph Macon- 6; and Wentworth- 2. The major changes are the significant increase at Marion (up from 6 this year) and the decrease at Northwestern (down from 38 this year). 51 (85%) have selected the three least costly (to family) schools ( MMI, NMMI and NWP). 44 (76%) selected schools which have no high schoolers (NWP, MMI and GS). 35 (58%) have selected schools which are military (MMI, NMMI, WW, and RMA).
6. New Trustees Elected. We elected 19 new Trustees / members at the Spring meeting. They are : Daniel Adams, Clarence Anderegg, Dana Born, Susan Desjardins, Richard Deveraux, Doug Fraser, Robert Goodwin, John Hawley, Chuck Johnson, TC Jones, David McKay, Richard Newton, Lindsey Parris, Joe Redden, Stephen Rondel, Mark Volcheff, John Warden, Brian Whiting, and Lynn Williams.
7. Alison Award. Trustee Goldy Goldfein is working with the AF Personnel Center IAW AF Instructions, to gain approval for an AF level Character and Leadership award honoring Gen Alison. Report at the Fall meeting.
8. Financial Situation. The Foundation continues to grow with the market, and as of 31 May, had a fund total of $20,325,499. Our Finance Committee is considering investment and spending adjustments to position the Foundation for market corrections and will brief the BOT at the Fall meeting.
9. Scholarship, Finance and Strategic Plan. The committees are working together to review our purpose, mission, and vision, improvement to our prep school scholarships, whether or not we should also embrace post graduate scholarships, and how all of this may be affected by a "market correction". Reports and discussion at the Fall meeting.
10. The Fall Meetings. Our next meetings will be Thursday, 31 Oct (Committee meetings, and Governing Trustees) and Friday, 1 November (Board of Trustees meeting). The Committees and GT will meet in Arnold Hall on Thursday, and The Board of Trustees will meet at the USAA Building as usual on Friday.
11. USAFA Changes in Leadership. The Academy has seen several changes recently with one more yet to come. We have a new 10th ABW Commander (former White House Fellow), Col Tracy Hawkins. A new Dean, Brig Gen Andy Armacost. A new Vice Superintendent, Col Evan Miller. The change of command for the Superintendent is anticipated early to mid-August, with Lt Gen (select) Michelle Johnson (coming from NATO), and retirement of the current Supt, Mike Gould.
12. Black Forest Fire. I am sure that you heard about the serious fire here in Colorado in June 2013. And you may recall, we had a similarly serious fire last June 2012, about the same time (Waldo Canyon) losing about 347 homes. The Black Forest fire in June 2013 was the most destructive fire in Colorado history, destroying 486 homes and damaging nearly 20 more. Our Top Falcon Scholar had stored some belongings with his sponsor, to include the Falcon Statue he received…all was lost when the BF Fire destroyed the sponsor's home! We are replacing the statue.
Jay W Kelley
LtGen, USAF (ret)